Sunday, July 3, 2011

Welcome!

Thank you for joining me.  I have this blog to let all of you--my dearest friends--know what I'm doing now that I hardly see any of you.  I will post pictures and describe my adventures, so that when we have a chance to talk, it won't be pure "this is the town and these are the people" kind of stuff.

I am in Logan in the far north of Utah.  It's a quiet Mormon college town with an ag school in a valley enclosed by Wellesville Mountains to the west and the Bear River Range to the East.  I'm working as a crewmember for the Utah Conservation Corps (UCC).  The first two weeks were training, and for the rest of the summer we work on weekly projects.  Monday morning we drive out the worksite.  We work 10 hour days and come back to Logan on Friday afternoon.  We typically car camp, and share meals.  The type of work ranges from weed spraying to fencing to trail building to habitat restoration.  Weekends are pretty much free to hang out in Logan or to travel.  Here in Logan I found a room in a house for the summer.  Three people who work for UCC live here, as do two others.  It's a pretty typical looking dirty college-town house, although out here in LDS territory, college life seems pretty subdued. In one corner of the house, we get wifi from one of the neighbors, which allows me to write this blog.

My motto for this summer is "along for the ride."  Work can be incredible or frustrating, anything from ripping out roots to make a trail to walking around in a line to spray thistles, and it sends me anywhere from a dog park in Salt Lake City to a little used backcountry area in Zion National Park.  Either way, it's a new and welcome experience for which I am not that well prepared.  My main hobby is taking pictures with my parents 35mm Pentax SuperProgram.  It takes a while to get my film developed, my slides scanned and what not, especially given that I'm only around on weekends and everything closes on Sundays.  As soon as I get pictures I will write posts about my adventures and jot down my thoughts on wilderness, outdoorsmen, the places i visit, and land management.  Thanks again for making it this far!  I have plenty more to say about any one topic covered here in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment